[phenixbb] PEG as a polymer

Felix Cat neeltgen at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 29 17:18:10 PDT 2019

Hi all,
I'm working on a structure where I see extensive interaction of the protein with PEG (polyethylene glycol). The largest PEGs I can find in structures in the PDB with a quick search are around 12 EDO subunits long, and they're called "dodecaethanediol" or the like. I am seeing at least 20.
Currently, I've built the PEG as a giant, single ligand, and generated a viable cif file for it using eLBOW with a SMILES string (very simple for PEG, you can imagine). I'm wondering if I might rather be able to handle it as a polymer of EDO subunits. I started to dig into that but got lost pretty quickly. I can't figure out how to create an automatically link-able EDO molecule, all with proper geometry, and I don't want to have to tell phenix.refine about 19+ custom linkages every time. (I've had to do that with N-linked acetylglucosamine moieties in the past.)
Nate NUNC