[phenixbb] Distance constraint to atom in symmetry copy in phenix.refine

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 2 01:01:50 PST 2019

Dear Julian

Perhaps I’m missing something, but I’m not seeing why it should ever be particularly difficult to reduce case 3 to case 2.  If the chains forming a trimer are really crystallographically unique, then you just have to shift them one at a time to get them to form a trimer within the same asymmetric unit.  You also have to make sure that the associated metal atoms are all on the local 3-fold and that there’s only one copy of each (with occupancy one) and you should be fine.

In case you haven’t found it, probably the easiest way to do this is in coot.  Open your PDB, view it as CAs + Ligands, turn on symmetry (Draw -> Cell and symmetry -> Symmetry by Molecule -> Display as CAs, check box to show symmetry atoms) and find the trimer you want.  Center on an atom in one of the chains from a symmetry copy, which you would like to have as the master copy, then Extensions -> Modelling -> Symm Shift Reference Chain Here.  Do that for the other chain, then check and if necessary fix the metal ions (which may or may not have followed the chain when you were moving things around).  Chaniging symmetry copies for one chain at a time should sort out your problem, if I’ve understood it correctly.

Best wishes,

Randy Read

-----
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research    Tel: +44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                         Fax: +44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                                            E-mail: rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.                               www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk