[phenixbb] minimizing clash score

oleg at quantumbioinc.com oleg at quantumbioinc.com
Fri May 17 13:53:12 PDT 2019

Dear Erron,

We recently demonstrated that the high clash count typically seen with the conventional PHENIX refinement is likely attributed to a particular non bonded restraint function used by phenix.refine. When we employed QM/MM (ONIOM) refinement (Borbulevych et al., Acta Cryst., 2018, D74, 1063               https://doi.org/10.1107/S2059798318012913 ) that resulted in significantly better clashscore and improvements of other metrics.

QM/MM refinement is available within PHENIX with the DivCon plugin. This plugin is available at no cost to academic users at http://www.quantumbioinc.com/products/software_licensing.

Sincerely,

Oleg Borbulevych

Oleg Borbulevych, Ph.D.