[phenixbb] Real space refine of long side chains

Gyles Cozier gc234 at bath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 27 02:31:53 PST 2019

Hi,

This sounds similar to the issues I have been having (but with x-ray data) from version 1.14 onward (Pavel I have previously sent you files regarding this, but can send again if you need). It happens for me even with high resolution (better than 2A) structures, but mostly with flexible side chains that have poor density. The side chains even push other residues (often symmetry related residues) out of their density. To me it seemed it might be connected to over zealous rotamer correction that began for me from version 1.14. As noted in the recent post 'Differences in refinement statistics', version 1.17 no longer gives me over corrected 0% rotamer outliers (versions 1.14-1.16 moved residues out of density to 'correct' rotamer outliers), but still pulls some side chains into the wrong density (although not as bad as versions 1.14-1.16). So currently I still use version 1.13 as later versions give me problems with side chains (unless I turn off real space refinement).

Bye for now,

Gyles.