[phenixbb] Phenix.refine on coordinate-optimised structures

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Aug 7 23:05:46 PDT 2020

Hi Joey,

your question can accommodate multiple interpretations and thus multiple
answers as result. Dorothee's was one. Here is another one.

First off, what's the goal? Do you want to get a better model of your
crystal structure or lowest possible R- factors?

Besides, depending on the data quality (resolution, completeness, etc)
you'd need to choose a good parameterization of ADPs (individual
anisotropic for all but H if resolution is sub-angstrom, isotropic plus
TLS at medium to low, etc). Then also depending on data quality, you
might be able to observe and model static (space) disorder using
alternative locations. If that's the case you will want to refine
occupancy factors of such partially occupied sites.

If the resolution is not low, are you sure you placed all convincing
water? If not, you may want to let phenix.refine to do this for you
automatically. And then towards the end make sure to check them in Coot.

There is a lot of choices and possibilities in-between, as one can imagine.

If you have more questions or need more help, we can possibly do it more
efficiently by chatting over Zoom, let me know and I will set up a call.

Pavel