[phenixbb] Visiting Research Specialist Position at the University of Illinois to Study Ribosome Structure
yuryp at uic.edu
Mon Jul 27 19:30:18 PDT 2020
The Polikanov Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Chicago (IL, USA)
is looking for a talented, skillful, and highly motivated researcher to
fill the *Visiting Research Specialist* position to study the structure and
function of the bacterial ribosome.
The research in the Polikanov Laboratory is focused on understanding the
basic principles of protein synthesis in bacteria, the modes of action of
ribosome-targeting antibiotics, and the mechanisms of drug resistance at a
structural level. More information about Dr. Polikanov's research can be
obtained from the most recent publications (
or found on the laboratory web-page (
https://bios.uic.edu/bios/people/faculty/yury-polikanov). The successful
candidate will be involved in the determination of high-resolution
structures of ribosome functional complexes with various protein
translation factors, tRNAs, and antibiotics using macromolecular X-ray
crystallography and potentially cryo-EM techniques.
- BS degree in chemistry, biochemistry, biophysics, or a related field;
- MS degree or higher is preferred;
- Minimum 3 years of laboratory research experience;
- Strong background in biochemistry and molecular biology;
- Practical skills with the most standard methods currently used in
molecular biology, and biochemistry (such as protein expression,
- Experience in structural biology (cryo-EM or X-ray crystallography) is
- Experience in RNA biology is desired.
*The successful candidate is also expected to:*
- Act independently in terms of planning and executing the experiments;
- Compile, analyze, and prepare data for publications;
- Assist with training of graduate and undergraduate students.
For fullest consideration, please submit an application and cover letter
describing your scientific interests and how your previous research
accomplishments and scientific interests fit with the scope of the research
in the Polikanov research group at
https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=133847 by August 14, 2020.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative
Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply. The University of Illinois may
conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a
contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with
the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the phenixbb