[phenixbb] Amber module in phenix on Ubuntu 18.04

Nigel Moriarty nwmoriarty at lbl.gov
Thu Jun 4 09:32:08 PDT 2020

Guenter

> I cannot get the Amber and AFITT menu bars in the phenix.refine GUI on a
> Ubuntu (Xubuntu 18.04) box.

Do you have AFITT installed and setup following
https://www.phenix-online.org/documentation/reference/afitt.html

Regarding Amber,  Ubuntu is the problem child for many things including
Phenix-Amber. I'm hoping Billy can help here.

>  I set Preferences "Enable alpha-test programs and features"  (works on my
> Mac 10.14.6 and SciLinux6 box ).

Don't think this matters for Amber anymore as it's distributed with Phenix.

> Moreover, on the Xubuntu machine: when I start the phenix.refine GUI
> (phenix version 1.18.2-3874) I see the following error message in the
> terminal running phenix:
>
> *$ phenix*
>

> *Could not import the compiled Python-sander interface. Make sure you have
> the Python development libraries installed and that you have sourced
> amber.sh or amber.csh *

Does it crash? Billy probably has the answers here.

> *------------------------*
>
> python 3.7 is installed and python development tools :
>

> *------------------------ *
>
> *$ python -V *
> *Python 3.7.6 *
>
> *$ sudo apt list -a   python3.7-dev *
> *Listing... Done *
> *python3.7-dev/bionic-updates,now 3.7.5-2~18.04 amd64 [installed] *
> *python3.7-dev/bionic-security 3.7.3-2~18.04.1 amd64 *
>
> *python3.7-dev/bionic 3.7.0~b3-1 amd64 *

Phenix 1.18.2 should be the last major release to use Python2 so you need
to have it available.

Nigel