[phenixbb] Improving Ramachandran plot

Oleg Sobolev osobolev at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 8 16:43:02 PDT 2020

Hi Reza,

I assume that you run Phenix via command line. We have a new enhanced
"ramachandran_plot_restraints" scope to define these (similar) parameters.
The previous one is there (for a short while) for backward compatibility
(so users can restore old GUI jobs). The new scope looks like:

    ramachandran_plot_restraints {
      enabled = True
      favored = *oldfield emsley emsley8k
      allowed = *oldfield emsley emsley8k
      outlier = *oldfield emsley emsley8k
      selection = None
      inject_emsley8k_into_oldfield_favored = True
      oldfield {
        weight = 0.
        weight_scale = 0.01
        distance_weight_min = 2.0
        distance_weight_max = 10.0
        plot_cutoff = 0.027
      }
      emsley {
        weight = 1.0
        scale_allowed = 1.0
      }
      emsley8k {
        weight_favored = 5.0
        weight_allowed = 10.0
        weight_outlier = 10.0
      }
    }
So please use this one. Notable change is that now you can restrain
favored/allowed/outliers separately (or not restrain one or another).
Please let me know if you need to know exactly how to convert old-style
parameters into new ones.

In case you are going to perform a similar study as you are mentioning, I
would like to suggest adding the Rama-Z metric to the set of validation
metrics. It was included particularly to judge the distribution of residues
on Ramachandran plot: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.str.2020.08.005

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Oleg Sobolev.