[phenixbb] Autosol help: FOM is great but map is trash

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Feb 19 09:45:58 PST 2021

Hi Alex,

I'm not a Phenix developer, but I have seen many cases like this, where reflections can be indexed with different cells, and one unit cell axis differs by a factor of 2. This just means that every second reflection (namely the odd one) along the reciprocal space direction corresponding to that axis is weak.

It is not a priori clear which of the two choices is the best for structure solution and refinement. This depends on whether the weak reflections actually carry structural information (e.g. about tNCS with a translation close to 0.5), or whether they are a result of  a crystal defect. It may sometimes happen that the crystal form is not suitable at all, since both choices don't refine well!

Concerning P212121, P21212, P2122, etc: these are all primitive orthorhombic, and data processing alone cannot tell you which one is correct - they give identical data processing statistics. Typically, absent reflections along h00 0k0 00l should tell about screw axes, but in case of tNCS and two different cell choices the correct choice may not be obvious. Molecular replacement and subsequent refinement of all possibilities should help. Furthermore, contrary to what you write, it _is_ possible for all the orthorhombic space groups to account for reflections in both cell choices, so don't jump to conclusions too early. Just explicitly specify the (big or small) cell parameters in the data processing program of your choice!

It may also help to try a different data processing package.

Hope this helps,
Kay

--
Kay Diederichs                http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de
email: Kay.Diederichs at uni-konstanz.de             Tel +49 7531 88 4049

This e-mail is digitally signed. If your e-mail client does not have the
necessary capabilities, just ignore the attached signature "smime.p7s".