[phenixbb] Post-doc vacancy in cryoem of viruses

Hasan, Syed Saif SsHasan at som.umaryland.edu
Mon Jan 11 07:05:37 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

A vacancy for a post-doctoral researcher is available immediately in my lab in the University of Maryland Center for Biomolecular Therapeutics located on the campus of Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research (IBBR; https://www.ibbr.umd.edu/profiles/s-saif-hasan<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibbr.umd.edu%2Fprofiles%2Fs-saif-hasan&data=04%7C01%7Csshasan%40SOM.UMARYLAND.EDU%7Cb6a67cab6f1042b7279c08d8a628b74a%7C717009a620de461a88940312a395cac9%7C0%7C0%7C637442041542586892%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=VTuCa96N9DlNQSmyODaFb34ipUmZgIeJNP69SBV63RE%3D&reserved=0>) in Rockville MD. We use high-resolution single particle cryoEM and X-ray crystallography to investigate how viruses utilize structural similarities with host proteins to hijack inter-organelle communication.

Prior experience in insect cell culture for recombinant protein production is desirable. Expertise in cryoEM or X-ray crystallography will be advantageous. Candidates who have recently completed their PhD are encouraged to apply.

IBBR is located 20 miles north-west of Washington DC. In IBBR, you will have in-house access to a 200 kV Talos Arctica with a Falcon 3EC DED and a 200 kV Glacios with a K3 DED and a Volta Phase Plate (VPP). We have a Vitrobot Mark IV and a Cp3 cryo-plunger for sample preparation. We have off-site access to a Titan Krios microscope equipped with DED and VPP. For X-ray crystallography, we have access to a Mosquito crystallization robot. Data collection is usually performed at synchrotrons. Our research is highly collaborative and is supported by wonderful colleagues who help us out with their expertise in NMR spectroscopy, lipidomics, HDX-MS, MD simulations, computer assisted drug design, and cellular imaging.

Interested candidates should send their CV and a cover letter to me at sshasan at som.umaryland.edu

The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.

Saif

S. Saif Hasan, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Maryland School of Medicine
108 N. Greene Street, Baltimore MD 21201
https://www.medschool.umaryland.edu/profiles/Hasan-S-Saif-Hasan-Syed-Saif/

Associate Member
Program in Oncology, University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center (UMGCCC)
22 S. Greene Street, Baltimore MD 21201

Office and Laboratory Address:
Center for Biomolecular Therapeutics, Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research (IBBR)
9600 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville MD 20850
https://www.ibbr.umd.edu/profiles/s-saif-hasan
Phone: 240-314-6396
Fax: 240-314-6225