[phenixbb] Phenix GUI does not show (on Debian)

Billy Poon BKPoon at lbl.gov
Fri Jul 2 11:48:19 PDT 2021

Hi Tim,

Can you try installing the en_GB.utf8 locale? For unicode support, the
default locale is set to en_US.utf8 unless you define the LC_ALL to be some
other locale with UTF8 support.

On Debian/Ubuntu distributions that locale seems to only work if en_GB.utf8
is also available.

You can check what locales are available by typing

locale -a

If en_US.utf-8 and en_GB.utf-8 are not available, you can install the
locales with the instructions here

https://wiki.debian.org/Locale
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Locale#A.28Re-.29Generating_locales

Basically, if those two locales are not available, you can run

sudo locale-gen en_US.utf8
sudo locale-gen en_GB.utf8
sudo update-locale

The last line may not be needed.

Let me know if it's still not working.

--
Billy K. Poon
Research Scientist, Molecular Biophysics and Integrated Bioimaging