[phenixbb] Real space refinement not recognizing modified bases from ribosome

Firdous Tarique kahkashantarique at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 22:51:18 PDT 2021

Hi Nigel

Thanks for this information. To be more specific. If the ribosome contains
many modified bases then I have to generate restraints for each of these
ligands separately and add them one by one using the Real Space Refinement
Add file menu along with the map and the whole 40S coordinates and run it.
Am I right ? Is there anyway If the protein contains multiple ligands and
you want to generate for all in a single output file as it does in refmac,
in that case a single cif file should work for all. I saw one option here
but it says it is generally not preferred to generate restraints for
multiple ligands from the pdb.

My second question is regarding Elbow which is how to use it in its best
possible way, particularly for determining the final geometry of the
ligand. For example the tool suggests that one can *Use simple optimization*,
or *Optimize using elbow AM1 QM method*, or *Optimize using 3rd party QM
package*, or *Provide final geometry from file.*

What do you think? What to use for a general restraint generation for a
ligand from an already known structure.

I am new to Phenix, would appreciate it if you please share with me a
general workflow for using eLBOW and how to use it during refinement.

Best

Firdous