[phenixbb] Macromolecular Crystallography - CSHL Course

Paul Adams pdadams at lbl.gov
Thu Jun 24 08:53:20 PDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

The July 16th deadline for applications to the CSHL X-ray Methods in Structural Biology Course to be held later this year, October 4 through October 19, 2021 is rapidly approaching.

Please see the attached announcement, and the official course web site is here:

https://meetings.cshl.edu/courses.aspx?course=C-CRYS&year=21

please pass this on to folks who might be interested and who would benefit. The course is designed for researchers who are either new to, or who wish to increase their in-depth knowledge of, macromolecular crystallography.

We anticipate holding the course in person as long as the pandemic situation continues to improve. Appropriate COVID-19 precautions will be followed to ensure the safety of all participants. Everyone will be required to provide documentary proof of a prior FDA or EMA approved vaccine.

This immersive course is an outstanding place to learn both the theoretical and practical aspects of Macromolecular Crystallography because of the extensive lectures from world-renowned teachers, which are combined with hands-on experiments. This 2021 course will be lead by Jim Pflugrath (Rigaku, ret.), Tassos Perrakis (NKI), Paul Adams (LBL), Janet Newman (CSIRO), Tom Peat (CSIRO) and an All-Star cast of lecturers. Attendees can expect to participate in a course that is unparalleled in the world, with experts each devoting several days to teaching the fundamentals, theory and practical considerations of crystallographic structure solution.

We expect to have the participants crystallize several proteins and determine their structures all in about two weeks. Students may also work on their own projects, but not exclusively. They will also become well-versed in the theory of X-diffraction and crystal structure determination while having lots of fun, but not much sleep. There will be data collection at state-of-the-art beamlines at NSLS-II.

The course is limited to 16 participants due to the very hands-on nature of the experiments and the intimate seminar room and laboratory settings.  Please check the above web link for more details. In particular, please note the information about fellowships, scholarships, and stipends that are available. It is often possible for applicants to receive some level of support to help offset the course fee.

This course is supported with funds provided by the National Institute of General Medical Sciences for which we are extremely grateful. Also there are stipends available from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute to help offset the cost of tuition. Scholarship support is provided by Regeneron Pharmaceuticals.

If anyone has any questions, please send me e-mail, I will be happy to answer any queries.

Thanks for spreading the word, Janet, Tom, Tassos, Paul, and Jim

--
Paul Adams
Division Director, Molecular Biophysics & Integrated Bioimaging, LBL (http://biosciences.lbl.gov/divisions/mbib)

Building 33, Room 250