[phenixbb] staraniso/phenix.refine

Gerard Bricogne gb10 at globalphasing.com
Wed Dec 21 08:46:05 PST 2022

Dear Pavel,

     I thought I ought to respond to the second paragraph of your message,
as I find it rather disappointing that you chose to deal with this matter in
such a dismissive and unhelpful manner.

     When users decide that they are willing to go to the trouble of trying
to deposit the data produced by STARANISO, it is presumably because they
derived some benefit from using it as input into building and/or refining
their model. Clemens has "walked the extra mile" to enable the deposition of
such data along with refinement results obtained not only with BUSTER but
also with REFMAC and phenix.refine, out of a desire to enable users to do
what they want to do, rather than try and dissuade them from it.

     You deride "available these days magic sticks (that "correct" for
anisotropy, sharpen or else!)". The UCLA Diffraction Anisotropy Server has
been doing exactly that for over a decade and a half without incurring this
kind of sarcasm. As for objecting to corrections, sharpening and truncation,
should that extend to the upscaling of higher-resolution data by image-wise
B-factors and to the rejection of outliers, all of which take place in every
single scaling and merging job? Probably not - so this remark sounds more as
if it is just gratuitously picking on STARANISO rather than offering helpful
advice to users.

     With best wishes,

          Gerard.