[phenixbb] refining a covalent-bound ligand (part 2) (try 2)

Xavier Brazzolotto xbrazzolotto at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 11:48:10 PST 2022

Hi Sergio,

This is how I proceed for modified residues.

1. Generate (draw) the desired modified residue in a program such as Chemdraw or MarvinSketch, then copy it as a SMILES string.

2. Generate a cif file with phenix eLBOW, from the SMILES string. Name it as you want with 3 letter code.

4. Modify the cif file, especially the definition as a L-peptide and not as Ligand. Change the corresponding atoms to atom names such as C, N, CA, O and OXT (CB, …) as in common residues (additional atom names can remain as they are).

5. In Coot, import the new cif and the new residue. Remove the OXT atom, then change the residue number to the one to replace. It should make the binding with residues -1 and +1 automatically.

For better refinement you can fix the atom occupancy of the residue (CYS in your case) to 1 and modify the occupancy of the « bound » atoms (as a group).

Hope this way will help you.

Take care.

Xavier