[phenixbb] refining a covalent-bound ligand (part 2)

Tanner, John J. TannerJJ at missouri.edu
Sat Jan 22 12:10:50 PST 2022

I recently did this for a covalently modified Cys. Follow these steps:

  1.  Generate a SMILES string for L-cysteine bonded the modification. Yours appears to be C1=CC=C(C=C1)C(=O)SCC(C(O)=O)N. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/262741
  2.  Input the SMILES string to PHENIX eLBOW using the graphical user interface with quantum optimization enabled to generate restraints (.cif) and coordinates (.pdb).
  3.  Use the eLBOW graphical user interface to change the atom names for the backbone atoms of the modified cysteine to the standard ones for amino acids (N, CA, C, O, CB).
  4.  Save the new coordinates and restraints.
  5.  Move the modified cysteine you saved in step 4 into the density using Coot.
  6.  Delete the extra O atom of the cysteine carboxylate and save the coordinates of the modified Cys.
  7.  Using a text editor, change the residue number and chain ID of the modified cysteine to those of the Cys in your structure. Save the file.
  8.  Using a text editor, replace the Cys coordinates of your structure with the coordinates of the modified Cys save in step 7.

In subsequent refinements, PHENIX refine should automatically incorporate the modified cysteine into the polypeptide chain, assuming you correctly renamed the atoms in step 3 and deleted the correct O atom in step 6.

--
John J. Tanner
Professor of Biochemistry and Chemistry