[phenixbb] high R-value with resolve_cryo_em

Tom Terwilliger tterwilliger at newmexicoconsortium.org
Thu Jun 9 05:56:46 PDT 2022

Hi Daniel,

Oops...way too much jargon in my reply.  "Cut the resolution" means "Use a
lower resolution cutoff".  Of course that could mean a bigger or smaller
number.  It means "Use a bigger number for the value of resolution"  The
idea here is to select a resolution range in which most of the data are
reasonably accurate, where the estimated correlation of Fourier terms with
the true ones is something like 0.5 (the standard half-map correlation
cutoff of 0.143), but it is not obvious exactly what quality cutoff and
therefore what resolution cutoff should be used, so a few tries never hurt.

You might try boxing your map yourself, using varying values for the buffer
around the model (from 5 to 10 A). Then tell resolve_cryo_em not to box the
incoming map. This way you can actually vary the solvent content.

Using the model in density modification could help but keep in mind that
you should always also do it without the model so that you have some map
that you know does not have any model bias. (The model-based density
modification does not seem to have model bias in my experience but it
always could).

All the best,
Tom T

Email: tterwilliger at newmexicoconsortium.org