[phenixbb] Question about RMSD vs e/A^3

Patrick Loll pjloll at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:24:16 PDT 2022

In simple terms, e-/A^3 is an absolute scale, whereas RMSD is normalized. Importantly, in an Fo-Fc map, the quantity by which you are normalizing (the RMS value of the map) is decreasing over the course of the refinement. I.e., at early stages, when the model is not optimized, there will be lots of large positive and negative peaks, many of which will disappear or at least be reduced over the course of refinement. For a perfect model (and perfect data), the RMS value of the Fo-Fc map would go to zero when the refinement is finished.

For this reason, it seems to me that when comparing two different structures, sticking to an absolute scale is the safer bet, at least for the Fo-Fc maps (note that actually getting the absolute scale correct is a non-trivial problem, but that’s a discussion for another time). Also, if you’re using the same software to do the calculation in both cases, systematic problems should cancel out…

Colleagues, please correct me if I’m spouting nonsense.

Pat