[phenixbb] geometry minimization with ligand present

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu Oct 20 16:26:13 PDT 2022

Hi Charles,

it should be as simple as

phenix.geometry_minimization model.pdb ligand.cif

However, note that geometry restraints used in this case are very
simplistic, for example, there are no attraction term. This means
helices may unfold unless you do a good thorough job defining secondary
structure restraints (and generally restrain all known hydrogen bonds).
You can do this by making a hydrogen bond restraint file:

phenix.hbond model.pdb

(model.pdb needs to have explicit H added)

and then supply that file to the above minimization command:

phenix.geometry_minimization model.pdb ligand.cif hbond.eff

It may be a good idea to verify hbond.eff to make sure it is as complete
and accurate as possible. This is because H-bond definitions in this
file are made based on input model and if input model geometry isn't
great, the H-bond annotations (and corresponding restraints) may not be
accurate either.

In summary, here are the steps:

1) Add H to the model:

phenix.ready_set model.pdb

2) Make H-bond restraints definitions:

phenix.hbond model_with_H.pdb

This command will create hbonds_pymol.pml file that you can load into
PyMol and see all H bonds as dashed line. This lets you verify all H
bonds that the program found (or missed). Edit hbond.eff if needed.

3) Finally, run geometry regularization:

phenix.geometry_minimization model.pdb ligand.cif hbond.eff

Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck,

Pavel