[phenixbb] Runtime error : Bond distance

Oleg Sobolev osobolev at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 6 13:08:34 PDT 2022

Hi Luca,

This particular error indicates that refinement became unstable for some
reason. It is extremely hard to reproduce on another machine, and very well
could be that just running the same job on the same machine will go without
the error. Nevertheless, we found out that often the reasons for it are:

- using NCS constraints which include only part of a chain, or nonsensical
NCS constraints, very different geometry between matching NCS-related parts
of the model.
- bad geometry in the starting model, like terrible clashes.

General suggestion to overcome the issue is to check for the above and fix
if possible or to increase max_reasonable_bond_distance parameter to e.g.
500.

Please note that excessive_bond_distance_limit is NOT the same parameter
and changing it will NOT affect this particular issue.

And for the reference, here is how to change a custom parameter in GUI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8W_6yuw5k&ab_channel=PhenixTutorials

Or one may choose to supply a parameter in the parameter file or as a
command-line argument.

Best regards,
Oleg Sobolev.