[phenixbb] Alternative to AlphaFold2?

Andy Watkins andy.watkins2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:58:33 PDT 2022

One significant advantage of OpenFold -- beyond its active open-source
development, its pytorch implementation (thus being more interoperable with
common external ML libraries) -- is its release of training code. So if
Odyssey wants to fine-tune predictions on a protein family of particular
interest to Odyssey, OpenFold's your answer. (You all can actually join the
OpenFold consortium -- which organizes not just OpenFold the existing
project but diverse additional open source ML development directions -- for
a small annual donation.)

In some respects single-sequence models like OmegaFold have advantages --
you don't need a heterogenous compute environment, with a good GPU for
inference but a lot of CPU cores for MSA precomputation. It's not a
total panacea though; embedding in a large language model is a significant
computation.