[phenixbb] Solving MR solution without sequence information

Rosenberg, Eric (NIH/NCI) [F] eric.rosenberg at nih.gov
Mon Feb 6 07:24:48 PST 2023

Hi everyone,

I wanted to thank you sincerely for all of your replies, I learned about so many useful tools and strategies to solve structures in situations like these. As it turns out, it was actually an additive protein that I did not know was in the drop; we contacted our former graduate student and apparently she added an additive to some, but not all, wells from which we took proteins. When using the additive protein for phasing and then performing a single round of refinement, the Rfree was ~0.33. So it wasn't after MBP fusion after all, the additive just crystallized on its own.

Lesson for the future-always double-check with the person who actually set the drop!

Thank you again,
Eric Rosenberg