[phenixbb] Postdoctoral position in YSBL, University of York

Jon Agirre jon.agirre at york.ac.uk
Tue Jan 31 08:09:02 PST 2023

Dear all,

Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Research Associate position,
funded by the Royal Society, for up to 30 months to work with Dr Jon Agirre
in the Department of Chemistry. The successful applicant will join a
vibrant team of researchers at the heart of the world-leading York
Structural Biology Laboratory (YSBL). The work of the laboratory over the
years has included the delivery of world-leading methods and experimental
discoveries, training and nurturing hundreds of outstanding scientists in
the process.

Role
In collaboration with Dr. Elisa Fadda (Maynooth University, Ireland), we
have developed proof-of-concept software that models protein glycosylation
into AlphaFold models. This task has been automated and integrated into the
new Python interface of the carbohydrate-specific Privateer software. In
parallel, we have developed infrastructure and analyses that allow us to
get a clear picture of glycans and their interactions. We expect that this
technology will enable the successful applicant to, based on existing
glycobiological knowledge, extend the Privateer software to predict, build
and adapt models of glycans onto AlphaFold models.

Main duties and responsibilities:
- To develop and extend the Privateer software to predict, build and adapt
models of glycans onto AlphaFold models.
- To further our existing collaborations with CCP4, CCP-EM, PDB-REDO, the
Protein Data Bank and the AlphaFold Protein Structure Database.

For informal enquiries: please contact Dr Jon Agirre, jon.agirre at york.ac.uk
To apply: https://jobs.york.ac.uk/vacancy/research-associate-513495.html

Department
The Department of Chemistry is one of the largest and most successful
departments at York and we are renowned internationally for our research.
As a department, we strive to provide a working environment that allows all
staff and students to contribute fully, to flourish, and to excel. We are
proud of our Athena Swan Gold Award. The Department of Chemistry values all
employees for the qualities and skills they bring to the workplace and aims
to be a diverse and egalitarian community in which all can thrive.

Many thanks for making it this far in the advert!
With best wishes,
Jon
--
Dr Jon Agirre [image: A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback
in email signature]  <https://www.name-coach.com/jon-agirre>