[cctbxbb] Python 3.12 release schedule

Billy Poon BKPoon at lbl.gov
Tue Feb 27 10:43:02 PST 2024

Hi Luc,

Thanks! Which package are you using? cctbx is cctbx-base plus some
additional dependencies (mainly, wxPython, pyside2, and ipython). If you do
not need those dependencies (or want to manually specify extra
dependencies), then cctbx-base should be the one to use.

I guess we can strip out some more dependencies for a cctbx-light. The
package recipes are in cctbx-base-feedstock, and I can add a cctbx-light
package as an additional output that has fewer dependencies. The cctbx
package is an output in the meta.yaml file that adds extra dependencies to
cctbx-base. So things like reportlab and biopython or even matplotlib could
be removed for cctbx-light.

Or do you mean to remove certain modules from cctbx-base for cctbx-light?
That would be possible, but I could probably do it in the second half of
this year. I'm already building all of Phenix as a giant conda package and
I've been splitting parts of it off into smaller packages to help with
making the builds more manageable on Azure (e.g. chem_data is 7 GB and does
not need to be in every platform package since it's platform independent).

--
Billy K. Poon
Research Scientist, Molecular Biophysics and Integrated Bioimaging