[phenixbb] High Temperature Factors with TLS

Thomas, Leonard M. lmthomas at ou.edu
Wed Aug 2 07:42:08 PDT 2023

Hello All,

A general questions though phenix.refine is being used for refinement.  A student I am working with has a structure that was solved and initially refined using TLS and NCS parameters.  They were given the structure to gain some experience in refinement and they have been asking me some questions, I was not involved in the initial work.  While everything seems to be happy and the model is correct with good refinement statistics for the most part one thing that I am unsure of is some of the heavier atoms (Phosphate and Sulfer) have very high temperature factors when looking at individual residues or ligands.  The temperature factors are at least twice as high as the lighter atoms they are associated with.

I am at a loss to explain what is going on, I really have not used TLS refinement a lot so there is that.  Resolution is about 2.5 angstroms with good completeness.

Thoughts?

Thank You in advance
Len Thomas

Leonard Thomas, Ph.D.
Biomolecular Structure Core, Director
Oklahoma COBRE in Structural Biology
Price Family Foundation Institute of Structural Biology
University of Oklahoma
101 Stephenson Parkway
Norman, OK 73019-5251
Office: (405)325-1126