[phenixbb] convergence in Phenix real space refinement

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Oct 20 09:39:41 PDT 2023

Hi Rob,

rmsd between cycles is a global metric that isn't sensitive to local
changes. One can also look at maximal shift but then you'll face problem
of oscillations -- for example, a side chain may flip back and forth
between rotameric conformations for whatever reason (poor map, or
equally good density for a few alternative conformations,...): in this
case global rmsd won't show anything but max shift will be always large.
All in all, it is not easy to find a reliable solution that will always
work. This is why choosing number of cycles is left on the user to
decide on (with the default 5 being fine enough in most cases). Also,
part of the reason why it is not easy is because
phenix.real_space_refine combined gradient-based minimization with local
grid searches (side chain rotamer fitting).

Pavel