[phenixbb] Apply NFC operators to helical structure

Tom Terwilliger tterwilliger at newmexicoconsortium.org
Sun Oct 22 10:46:19 PDT 2023

Hi Dmitry,
I am guessing that your structure contains C2 symmetry as well as helical
symmetry, is that correct? The find_ncs algorithm can do one or the other,
but not both at once.  For your case I think you want to specify:

    reconstruction_symmetry.symmetry=helical
    include_helical_symmetryTrue

and it should look for helical symmetry only.
All the best,
Tom T

On Sun, Oct 22, 2023 at 11:20 AM Dmitry Semchonok <semchonok at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>

> Please prompt me on correctly applying the symmetry parameters to the
> helical cryo-em map.
>

> What I did:
>

>    1. Found symmetry with Map symmetry. The process finished
>    successfully.
>    2. Applied the NFC operators.
>

> But the outcome has only two units (C2 symmetry).
> When I put more units in the program setting, nothing happens after the
> run; moreover, the output is not generated.
>

>  Could you please advise how to fill the helical cryo-EM structure with
> units?
>

> Many thanks for considering my request.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Dmitry

Thomas C Terwilliger
Laboratory Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory
Senior Scientist, New Mexico Consortium
100 Entrada Dr, Los Alamos, NM 87544
Email: tterwilliger at newmexicoconsortium.org
Tel: 505-431-0010