[phenixbb] Updating other tools to use and output in mmCIF format and option to add hydrogens in real_space_refine

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 19 19:09:11 PDT 2023

Hi Adrian,

thanks for suggestions and comments.

I hope Nigel can comment more, AFAIK making ReadySet mmCIF friendly is
an on-going project and perhaps that won't happen before the upcoming
release.

The troubles you describe look a bit artificial to me. Here is why.
First, mmCIF is now the only file format accepted by PDB for
crystallographic depositions and AFAIK the same is about to happen for
cryo-EM (if not happened already). So it may be a good idea to use mmCIF
consistently. Second, adding H atoms seems more like a model building
rather than refinement, so while it is possible of course to add them as
part of a refinement run, it doesn't seem to be a huge deal adding them
to your model once (once you are ready) and then keep from that point
on. And, finally, it's been said here and elsewhere countless amount of
times that adding H for refinement and then deleting them afterwards is
not a good practice (to say the least).

All the best!
Pavel