[phenixbb] 1.7.2 slow to open

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 10 19:24:09 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Jinsong Liu <liu_jinsong at gibh.ac.cn> wrote:
> I wonder if there is anyone else experiencing a VERY VERY slow opening of
> the phenix GUI for the latest version of 1.7.2? We have RHEL 5.3 and CentOS
> 5.6, both machines show this. Most of the time, it will take minutes,
> sometime more than 10 minutes. There is no any warning or error message,
> after the long waiting the GUI will suddenly show up.

There are several reasons why this might happen, most of which involve
the networking configuration on your systems (including NFS).  I
haven't had much luck figuring out the exact cause(s), since I rarely
have direct access to the computers that have these problems - in one
of the few cases where I did, it had no network access and was locking
up attempting to load the wxPython module (which shouldn't use any
networking at all!).  A couple of suggestions to try:

1. Type 'phenix' and hit enter, wait a few seconds, then enter
control-C, which should cancel it - then send me whatever it prints
out (it should by a Python traceback).
2. Set the environment variable PYTHONVERBOSE to 1, then type 'phenix'
and hit enter, and send me the last 10-20 lines of terminal output.
(There will probably be several terminal screens worth of output but I
just need to see where it stops.)

The more aggressive debugging approach involves adding print
statements throughout $PHENIX/phenix/wxGUI2/App.py, but I'm hoping one
or both of the above methods tells us something.

> In the older version, it usually takes seconds to load the GUI.

1.7.1, or something older?  I rearranged some of the code a few months
ago but the underlying functions haven't changed much since April -
however, the underlying modules do change too and it is quite possible
that a bug was introduced at some point.

thanks,
Nat