[phenixbb] Phenix secondary structure restraints bug

Oleg Sobolev osobolev at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 3 15:26:02 PDT 2022

Dear Edwin,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

I'm afraid there is a slight misunderstanding of the parameter because of
lack of description in our documentation. The ss_by_chain flag only affects
"from_ca" search_method. It has no effect when you choose any other
methods. For the sake of completeness, from_ca_conservative, max_rmsd,
use_representative_chains and max_representative_chains also only affect
"from_ca" method. I'll adjust the description of parameters that can be
seen at the bottom of this page:
https://phenix-online.org/documentation/reference/secondary_structure.html

It would be helpful if you could share (off-list) the model.pdb you were
experimenting with, so I can look deeper into why output of

> > phenix.secondary_structure_restraints model.pdb format=pdb
> ss_by_chain=False
> $PHENIX/build/ksdssp/exe/ksdssp model.pdb

is different. They should be the same from the first look.

Best regards,
Oleg Sobolev.